Ciro Trail current conditions

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Another Cyclist
    Keymaster

Hi, I get a few emails asking about current conditions on the Ciro Trail, and have had some useful comments, most recently this one:

Tim Robinson
    17/05/2019 AT 11:39 EDIT
    Thanks for the info. I’ve just ridden the route between Dubrovnik and Capljina. It’s not currently possible to ride the off-road section between Hutovo and Gornje Hrasno. The path has been dug up and it looks like they’re laying water pipes. Stay on the road until Gornje Hrasno, and then you can get on the off-road section there. The views of the valley and lake below are spectacular. The path is loose stones rather than compacted gravel, so it’s fairly hard work and probably more suited to MTB, although I managed it on my Surly LHT.

This small forum is a place for other users to post current conditions on the Ciro Trail or any new information to help others.

Whether you found the conditions fine, or like Tim, challenging please drop us a quick comment to help others.

c_4london
    Participant

Hi mate! Amazing article on the Ciro Trail,

Me and a friend are planning a cycle trip this summer and are eyeing it up. Would you be able to give us any tips on tyre type suitable for this? We’ve got road bikes but wondering whether we need to equip with some meatier tyres. Also – any idea about getting from Mostert to Drvenik / Hvar / back to Dalmatian coast?

Thanks!

Another Cyclist
    Keymaster

Hi, glad you found the article useful.

I managed it with 28mm slick road tyres, however I didn’t take on the longest off road section due to the weather. One reader recently commented at the end of last year about this long off-road section: “I’ve just ridden the route between Dubrovnik and Capljina. It’s not currently possible to ride the off-road section between Hutovo and Gornje Hrasno. The path has been dug up and it looks like they’re laying water pipes. Stay on the road until Gornje Hrasno, and then you can get on the off-road section there. The views of the valley and lake below are spectacular. The path is loose stones rather than compacted gravel, so it’s fairly hard work and probably more suited to MTB, although I managed it on my Surly LHT.”

So be aware that you may need to either take a little more time or take the road route around if the surface is too loose for your road tyres. If your cycling trip is just based around the Ciro trail then go for more off road tyres so you can to make the most of it, If you’re planning on loads more tarmac riding then in my opinion it’s not worth compromising the rest of the trip with heavy and poor rolling resistance of more rugged tyres just for a few bits of gravel. You can do all of it easily on skinny tyres if you avoid all of the off-road bits, but where’s the fun in that right?

So yeah it’s possible on standard road tyres, if you’re carrying lots of luggage or are a little unstable then you will need to walk through the bat poo and really loose sections and accept it’s slow going in a couple of places.

As for returning from Mostar to Drvenik on the coast, it’s less than 100km, so I’d just cycle it. Bikes are free on the ferry crossings. My route carried on up through Slovenia and into Austria before heading south in into Italy, so can’t recommend a particular route. Perhaps a train from Mostar to Čapljina (which you will have cycled through on the way to Mostar), then cycle the rest of the way to a ferry https://www.zfbh.ba/en/. There are plenty of busses too but you’ll need to check what works with a couple of bikes. Just make sure you cycle across the border on a main road, as I had trouble on a minor one and had to add a massive detour.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.